Thursday, August 9, 2012

Compliment or Not?

A little background... I have an aunt and uncle who are pretty open about their lives, and I mean every part.  Any way, they like attention and to talk about themselves.  They've tried changing their diets several times over the last 10 years or more and nothing ever sticks.  I get it, I know it's hard and every day I tell myself that this time it HAS to be for good.  So this is what happened...

We are all hanging out at my mom's camp on the 4th of July.  This is the first time several of them have seen me in at least a month and a couple since I was pregnant.  Well above uncle says to me (when we are in a large group and rather loudly) "Brandi, have you lost weight?"  I said "I have, thanks for..." He cuts me off with "I've lost 8lbs this month, your aunt has only lost 6 though, even though we are eating the same."

I have so many issues with this.  First off, if you are going to compliment someone for their weight loss, don't just use it as an excuse to bring up your own.  Yes I know the first 2, 4, 6, whatever lbs is hard, but it's sticking with it that is even harder.  I had lost 20lbs at that time and I was proud.  Second, my poor aunt was right there and I could tell by the look on her face the fact that he mentioned that he was losing weight faster bothered her.  As if losing weight isn't hard enough?  If you aren't in a competition, don't make it one.

So anyway, I'm pretty sure he just mentioned my weight loss so that he could bring up his own.  Personally I never mention mine because to me if you can't see the difference what's the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining me on my journey!